This versatile dressing makes it easy to bring turmeric into your daily cooking. Pour it over cooked fish, grain bowls, soba noodles and vegetables. And with anti-inflammatory ginger, probiotic-containing miso and alkalizing sesame in tahini, this dressing will boost the health quotient of almost any meal!
Why is Turmeric the Media Darling of Health News?
Turmeric has an impressive body of researched health benefits. The vibrant yellow spice has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties as well as antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal activities . It also acts as an immune modulator, showing benefits in the treatment of arthritis, allergy, asthma, atherosclerosis, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease and diabetes  and may help prevent and/or treat over six hundred health conditions .
Benefiting nearly every bodily system, it is no surprise that turmeric has been found comparable to fourteen various drugs and medications, such as certain cholesterol medications, corticosteroids, blood thinners and even antidepressants, such as Prozac . All this healing potential -without adverse side effects, even at doses up to 8,000 mg per day [4, 5, 6, 7] (about one rounded teaspoon).
TURMERIC TAHINI DRESSING
Inspired by Bon Appetite Yield: 1 cup
- 1/3 cup unseasoned brown rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons white (or chickpea) miso
- 1 tablespoon peeled, finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon peeled, finely grated fresh tumeric or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/8th teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup organic sesame oil (or a neutral oil, such as grapeseed or canola oil)
Using a blender or a whisk and a small bowl, blend all ingredients together. Store refrigerated in a glass container for up to 5 days.
- Don’t forget the black pepper. Just a small amount boosts turmeric’s bioavailability by 2000% [8,9,10]!
- As a salad dressing, its thick texture and strong flavor pairs well with radicchio. Or, thin it with a little water for use with delicate greens.
- Trying to please new-to-turmeric palates? Add one or two teaspoons of raw honey.
Some of the brands I often use; Artisan Organics, Eden Organic for vinegar, Spectrum Organic for oils and Miso Master or South River for miso.
 Safety and anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin: a component of tumeric (Curcuma longa). J Altern Complement Med. 2003 Feb;9(1):161-8.
 “Spicing up” of the immune system by curcumin. J Clin Immunol. 2007 Jan;27(1):19-35. Epub 2007 Jan 9.
 600 Reasons Turmeric May Be the World’s Most Important Herb
 Curcumin: the Indian solid gold. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2007;595:1-75.
 Natural Products and Molecular Therapy, First International Conference. New York, NY: Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 1056, 2005.
 Phase I clinical trial of curcumin, a chemoprotective agent, in patients with high-risk or pre-malignant lesions. Anti-cancer Res. 2001; July-Aug 21:2895-2900.
 Is Turmeric As Effective As Fourteen Other Drugs? Sacred Plant’s Ingredient, Curcumin, Holds Key To Health Benefits? Medical Daily.
 Bioavailability of Curcumin: Problems and Promises Mol Pharmaceutics Vol. 4, NO. 6, 807-818
 Why You Should Always Eat Pepper with Turmeric. Michael Greger, MD
 Biochemical Basis of Enhanced Drug Bioavailability by Peperine: Evidence that Peperine is a Potent Inhbitor of Drug Metabolism. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. Vol. 232, No. 1