And, Miso Spice makes 8! In the post, ‘7-Tips for Using Miso,’ I shared some miso basics and a few tips for using miso paste in cooking. Now, here’s one more tip for using this detoxifying, gut-friendly, enzyme-rich fermented food. Sprinkle it on savory dishes, showering them with umami goodness. Sprinkle miso on dishes as a condiment?
Yes! Miso Spice, is yet another ingenious idea from Mark Bittman. Best part —it’s super easy. After spreading the paste on a silicon matt or parchment paper, you leave the oven to do the work and go about your day. In the time you can binge-watch your latest Netflix series, you’ll have a creative and healthy condiment ready to go. Excellent on popcorn!
HOW TO MAKE MISO SPICE
- Pre-heat oven to 175°F or its lowest setting.
- Spread a thin, even layer of miso paste on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the paste for about three hours, or until it easily peels away from the paper. Then, flip the pieces over and bake until the miso crumbles easily, another 3 to 4 hours. Allow the paste to cool.
- After cooling, crumble the dried paste with your fingers or grind finely in a spice mill.
- Store refrigerated in an air-tight container.
Here, I’m about to bake brown and sweet miso. Want more tips for using miso? Check out the earlier post, ‘7 Tips for Using Miso’.
Have you tried miso paste or have a favorite way you love to use miso? Please share and leave a comment below!