Turmeric tofu scramble is a quick and savory option for any day. But, with its gorgeous sunshine yellow, this dish is also festive enough for guests. With about 8 grams of plant protein, it provides stable, yet light nourishment to start your day. Serve it with the suggested sides and toppings below, or bundle it up in a whole grain wrap and take it to go.
Not only quick and nutritious, this dish is also what I refer to as ‘a turmeric delivery mechanism’. That’s right, per serving, the scramble gives you a quarter teaspoon of turmeric, the anti-inflammatory ‘spice for life’. Further, it uses all three ways to get the most from curcumin by using the whole turmeric spice and includes both fat and black pepper to maximize bioavailability.
TURMERIC TOFU SCRAMBLE
There is nothing difficult about making a turmeric tofu scramble. The only trick is getting the right texture, which means firm, not mushy. So, make yours a breakfast of champions with a little advance planning. Pressing to remove excess water will improve the texture of even ‘Extra-Firm’ tofu. I like to let the tofu press overnight in the refrigerator so it is ready to go in the morning.
Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 20 minutes, Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm organic tofu, pressed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, medium dice (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, medium dice
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup cooked black beans (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime (or lemon) juice
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/8th teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- Cumin or paprika for extra color, as desired
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (or Italian parsley) leaves for garnish
Place tofu in a pan or on a plate. Cover with a piece of parchment or wax paper, then rest a heavy object on top. Keep refrigerated for at least 30 minutes while the tofu is ‘pressed’ to release excess water.
- In a small bowl, mix together lime juice, nutritional yeast, turmeric, cumin, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In 12-inch sauté pan over medium heat, warm oil until it shimmers. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Add the red chili pepper flakes and season with a pinch of salt and some black pepper. Sauté until the onions are slightly translucent, the garlic is fragrant and the bell peppers have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Mash tofu using a fork or potato masher. Add the mashed tofu, beans (if using) as well as the lime juice and seasoning mixture. Raise heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring to heat through and distribute the seasoning evenly.
- Season with hot sauce, if desired. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with avocado and sweet potato fries, warmed tortillas or toast.
- New to cooking with turmeric? You may want to start with just 1/2 teaspoon as it can be an acquired taste. Otherwise, get the full goodness with 1 teaspoon.
- GMOs? More than 90% of the soy grown in the U.S. is now genetically modified. So, be sure to buy organic tofu to avoid a GMO breakfast.