Parmesan chickpea croutons are one of my favorite salad toppings. They add flavor, texture and protein to a salad, and bonus—they’re also gluten-free! The croutons can be made a day in advance and, once completely cooled, stored in an airtight container. If using canned chickpeas, look for cans with BPA-free lining. Either way, be sure to make plenty. They make for an addictive snack, especially hot out of the oven! For vegans, simply skip the parmesan.
Tip: For more of a parmesan ‘crisp’ with cracker-like shards of parmesan, freely add parmesan so that it covers the spaces in the pan between the croutons and let it melt!
- 15 oz can or two cups cooked chickpeas, well-drained and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or grape seed oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: black pepper to taste
- Garlic, onion powder (or other seasonings of your choice) to taste
- Optional: 1/2 cup grated parmesan
Parmesan Chickpea Crouton Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 300°F
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chickpeas and cook.
- Sprinkle seasoning evenly over chickpeas.
- Continue to cook, shaking the pan frequently, until the chickpeas are lightly roasted and slightly browned.
- Sprinkle the parmesan over the chickpeas and place pan in the oven and cook for another 35 minutes, for a total of about 1 hour total cooking time. Enjoy!
Note: If chickpeas are not crisp after an hour, lower the heat to 250°F and let them dry out as long as needed. And if you won’t be around to monitor them, simply turn off the oven when they are close to desired crispness and let them continue drying in the residual heat of the oven.