And, Miso Spice makes 8! In the post, ‘7-Tips for Using Miso,’ I shared some miso basics and a few tips for using miso paste in cooking. Now, here’s one more tip for using this detoxifying, gut-friendly, enzyme-rich fermented food. Sprinkle it on savory dishes, showering them with umami goodness. Sprinkle miso on dishes as a condiment?
Yes! Miso Spice, is yet another ingenious idea from Mark Bittman. Best part —it’s super easy. After spreading the paste on a silicon matt or parchment paper, you leave the oven to do the work and go about your day. In the time you can binge-watch your latest Netflix series, you’ll have a creative and healthy condiment ready to go. Excellent on popcorn!
How to Make Miso Spice
- Pre-heat oven to 175°F or its lowest setting.
- Spread a thin, even layer of miso paste on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the paste for about three hours, or until it easily peels away from the paper. Then, flip the pieces over and bake until the miso crumbles easily, another 3 to 4 hours. Allow the paste to cool.
- After cooling, crumble the dried paste with your fingers or grind finely in a spice mill.
- Store refrigerated in an air-tight container.
Have you tried miso paste or have a favorite way you love to use miso? Please share and leave a comment below!