“Eat more kale”. I wish it had been MY idea to print this clever slogan on T-shirts. But, at least I can live the slogan. This is my new favorite way for its flavor and ease. The lemon vinaigrette actually softens the raw kale, which usually requires a separate step.
My mother made this salad for me during a recent trip home to SeattIe. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that what seems a modern combination of flavors was not, inspired by her latest Food Network marathon. Rather, the credit actually goes to her mother. I hope you will enjoy Virgie’s Raw Kale Salad as much as I do. It is irresistibly light and zesty. It is also rates high on the convenience factor. Feel free to make it in advance, as it will not wilt as quickly as other salads. Great job grandma! Serves 2-4.
- 1 small or 1/2 large bunch kale (about 6 cups of bite-size pieces)
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 medium diced apple or pear
- 1/4 cup sliced, toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup Lemon Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup chopped dried tart cherries (optional)
- Remove ribs from cleaned kale leaves. Tear or chop leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Toss the with lemon vinaigrette to evenly coat leaves.
- Add the fresh fruit and half of the red onion, dried fruit and toasted almonds.
- Toss the salad again.
- Divide and top each salad with the remaining red onion, dried fruit and almonds.