Inspired by the ‘Good for Everything Tea’ at an organic, vegan restaurant in the East Village, this drink is a simple twist on classic ginger tea. It is a constant companion during my monthly detox, an illness or cold weather. I make a quart or more and sip on it all day. Served hot or cold, this drink provides an immune boost and helps clear nasal and lung congestion. The honey option will also help soothe a sore throat. Don’t be too cautious with the cayenne. This drink is not the same without it! Serves 2-4.
- 4 cups water
- 4 inch piece of ginger sliced thin or 4 teaspoons juiced ginger
- Juice of 1 large lemon (approx. 3-4 tablespoons)
- cayenne pepper to taste (up to 1/8th teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons raw honey (or Stevia to taste)
- Place sliced ginger into boiling water. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add all other ingredients.
- Stir, then strain into serving cups.
If you want to use ginger often in tea, juices, smoothies (or cocktails!), I highly recommend keeping your freezer stocked with ginger juice cubes.