Eggs Diablo is a healthier version of the classic Deviled Eggs with Greek yogurt and avocado replacing mayonnaise. If you are not a deviled egg fan, give this version a try. If you like guacamole, you will love Eggs Diablo! Green eggs. Perhaps Dr. Seuss was on to something!
- One half-dozen organic hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8th teaspoon cayenne or 1/4 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, plus a few tablespoons for garnish
- 1 avocado, diced
- Using a sharp knife, slice each egg in half, lengthwise.
- Wipe knife clean after slicing each egg.
- Gently remove the yolk halves and place in a small mixing bowl.
- Arrange the egg white halves on a serving platter.
- Using a food processor or blender, combine yolks with all the remaining ingredients, except the avocado. Blend until well combined.
- Add the avocado and blend again until well combined and smooth.
- If needed, add extra lime juice to create a smooth texture.
- Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Spoon egg yolk mixture into the egg white halves.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or cilantro leaves.
- The filling can be processed without a blender or food processor. Simply chop the cilantro and garlic well in advance.
- Enjoy Eggs Diablo the day you prepared them. After a day in the refrigerator, they will be Army green. Patriotic? Perhaps. Appealing? Not so much.
- Fresh eggs are much harder to peel when hard-boiled. Try using eggs up to one week old.
- Organic Egg Scorecard
- Health Benefits of Eggs
Orginally posted on 7.3.13