- Inspect the chickpeas, removing the broken or extremely shrivelled up chickpeas.
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover completely with cold water.
- Soak chickpeas overnight, about 12 hours.
- Drain and transfer to a large cooking pot. Cover with water, twice the amount of chickpeas and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for about one hour.
- Test for doneness, cooking for 10 or 15 minutes more, if needed.
- Drain and allow to cool.
- Cooked chickpeas can keep covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Note: The cooking water can be saved and used as a flavorful base for homemade soup.