- 2 medium eggplants (about 1 2/3 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1 medium lemon (3-4 tablespoons of juice)
- 1-2 heads roasted garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Slice each eggplant in half lengthwise and remove the stems.
- Score each side of eggplant with a crisscross pattern.
- Place on a parchment or foil-lined (for ease of clean-up) baking sheet, cut side up.
- Sprinkle each half generously with salt and set aside to rest for 30 minutes. The eggplant will begin to sweat.
- Optional: After 30 minutes, blot the eggplant with a towel to soak up any bitterness in the moisture pulled out of the eggplant. Then, sprinkle again with salt.
- Brush the cut sides with 1 tablespoon of the oil per half.
- Place a shallow pan of water at the bottom of the oven to prevent the eggplant from drying out.
- Roast eggplant for about 45 minutes, until the flesh is golden brown.
- While the eggplants are roasting, combine the lemon juice, cumin, roasted garlic and red chili pepper flakes in a bowl.
- When finished roasting, transfer the roasted halves to a serving dish, and spoon the lemon garlic sauce over the flesh.
- Garnish with chopped Italian parsley and lemon zest, if using.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Here, the eggplant is in halves for serving. However, the flesh could also be scooped out into serving bowls, used on top of pasta or as a dip.
How do you prepare and serve roasted or grilled eggplant?