It’s not summer without the occasional nostalgic, cool treat. Fudgsicles were a childhood favorite of mine. There was something about the way they slowly morphed from a frozen solid into creamy, chocolate pudding. Unfortunately, three of the top six ingredients in those fudgsicles are sugar, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup. Keep reading the label and you will find other goodies, such as cellulose gum and polysorbate 80.
The good news is that it is incredibly easy to make fudgsicles that are actually healthy. These fudgiscles also have the rich, creamy texture, which makes a fudgsicle a fudgsicle. No dairy. No gluten. No cooking. No kidding! Simply start with Chocolate Avocado Pudding, add coconut milk and freeze in popsicle molds. Like with the pudding, adjust the sweetener at the end, before freezing as this recipe is on the less sweet side. The yield is 8 fudgsicles. But, my impatience generally gets the better of me. A good portion of the pudding never makes it to the freezer…
Yield: 8 fudgsicles
- 1 cup almond milk (or rice milk)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar, maple syrup or agave
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt – more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium avocados cut into chunks
- Combine all ingredients, except the avocados in a blender or food processor and process until combined.
- Add the avocados, scraping down the sides with a spatula as needed and process until very smooth.
- Add additional sweetener and salt, if desired.
- Fill popsicle molds and freeze.
- Remove fudgsicles from the freezer to soften for at least 30 minutes before eating.