The ingredients and the adjectives ‘raw’ and ‘vegan’ do not exactly scream ‘guilty pleasure’. But, one taste of this 10-minute, no-cook dessert says ‘decadent indulgence’. So, I keep myself stocked with Haas avocados and make this several times each week. Thankfully, the recipe can be halved easily as a method of self-enforced portion control. Trust me.
Fortunately, it is actually a very healthy pudding recipe. Raw cacao powder is unadulterated, contains many more nutrients and antioxidants than traditional cocoa powder and is void of sugars. The avocados are a healthy source of monounsaturated fats and 5 grams of fiber per serving. The amount of sweetener required depends on the size of the avocados as well as your personal preferences. I use medium-size Haas avocados.
Adjust sweetener at the end, keeping in mind that sometimes an extra dash of salt brings more flavor enhancement than a sweetener will. I like to adjust with Stevia because a little goes a long way. I usually use 1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar with 2 small scoops of Stevia (less than 1/8th of a teaspoon). Stevia is considered 200 to 300 times sweeter than table sugar, will not spike insulin and is calorie-free. But, use Stevia in moderation. Otherwise it will impart a bitter after-taste to your recipe. Here, I have topped the pudding with cocoa nibs almonds. But, be creative and top it with whatever flavors you enjoy pairing with chocolate; sea salt, shredded coconut, slivered almonds…or nothing at all. Serves 4.
Adapted from Chef Mathew Kinney
- 1 cup almond milk (or rice milk)
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar or maple syrup (or 1/3 cup agave)
- with added stevia if desired
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt – more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium avocados cut into chunks
- Optional: a few dashes cayenne
- Combine all ingredients, except the avocados in a blender or food processor and process until combined.
- Add the avocados, scraping down the sides with a spatula as needed and process until very smooth.
- Add additional sweetener and salt, if desired.
- Add toppings as desired and serve.